Healthcare Assistant Course
This Healthcare Assistant Course provides the knowledge and skills for colleagues to work confidently both at the counter and in the dispensary. It includes the recognised qualification of Medicine Counter Assistant and Dispensing Assistant (Level 2 Equivalent), accredited by the GPhC.
Online price: £190
GPhC Accredited Course
Healthcare Assistant Course
17 modules. Includes certification.
Efficient pharmacies require support staff who are qualified to work behind the counter, as well as in the dispensary. This course develops confidence behind the counter and in the dispensary, providing the appropriate skills and knowledge to prepare for the challenges of both roles.
1. Working in a pharmacy. Here you will learn about the pharmacy team, the NHS and the importance of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
2. Communicating with customers. Here you will learn about customer care and how to communicate effectively.
3. Law, regulations and health and safety. Here you will learn about the laws relating to medicines, poisons and health and safety.
4. Receiving a Prescription. Here you will learn how to receive a prescription, procedures and records related to them and the actions to take if the prescription is not valid.
5. Giving out a prescription and counselling. Here you will learn about your role when issuing prescribed medicines and how and who to refer to when necessary.
6. Pain. Here you will learn about pain and the treatments available to treat it as well as common minor ailments causing pain.
7. Coughs and colds. Here you will learn about coughs and colds, their symptoms, treatments, questions to ask, advice, as well as reasons to refer.
8. Gastrointestinal problems. Here you will learn about gastrointestinal problems, their symptoms, treatments, questions to ask, advice, as well as reasons to refer.
9. Summer and travel health. Here you'll learn about the medicines required by travellers, to treat and prevent disease.
10. Skin, hair and feet. Here you will learn about problems associated with skin, hair and feet, their symptoms, treatments, questions to ask, advice, as well as reasons to refer.
11. Ears, Eyes and Mouth.Here you will learn about problems of ears, the eyes and mouth, their symptoms, treatments, questions to ask, advice, as well as reasons to refer.
12. Women's Health. Here you will learn about the common minor ailments suffered by women, how to treat them effectively and when to refer.
13. Baby care. Here you will learn about the common minor ailments suffered by children, how to treat them effectively and when to refer.
14. Healthy Lifestyles. Here you will learn about promoting wellbeing and healthy lifestyles to the public as well as some of the healthy messages you can deliver.
15. Assembling a Prescription. Here you will learn how to assemble of a prescription, storage and labelling
16. Calculations. Here you will learn about the common calculations required in the pharmacy.
17. Ordering, receiving, storing and issuing stock. Here you will learn about effective pharmaceutical stock management.
What you will get
Beautifully designed by pharmacists to help colleagues learn faster.
- 17 in depth and killer modules
- Over 150 easy to digest topics
- Over 200 interactive exercises, offline activities and resources
- 17 Workbooks
- Over 100 video tutorials
- Over 150 refresher quizzes to lock in learning
- 17 case studies, tutor pack and guidance notes
- Mediapharm automation links
- Displayable digital badge
- Printable custom certificate
- Recognised qualifications of Medicine Counter Assistant and Dispensing Assistant
- One to one tutor support
What our learners say
We're proud to have trained 100's of Medicine Counter Assistants.
A fantastic experience , great knowledge helping me to provide a valuable customer service . Informative videos and content.
Very thorough, clear information that is easy to understand. Wide range of learning methods to help to remember information.
The course is interactive and allows me to work at it at a pace that is best for me to learn. Allows me to correct my answers by checking and re learning.
Who should take the course?
This Healthcare Assistant course is for those working in a pharmacy in a patient facing role, both on the medicines counter and in the dispensary. The learner will require a pharmacist to act as supervising pharmacist during the course.
How long does the course last?
This course requires 18 months study time.
What kind of support will students receive?
As well as instant access to results, learners can talk to dedicated tutors by booking online at a time that suits them. In addition, learners are supported throughout their course by a supervising pharmacist who is nominated on enrolment to review and invigilate work based activities and assessments, ensuring the learner is competent in the workplace. Supervising pharmacists also receive guidance on how to mentor colleagues and support effective learning via the Tutor Handbook.
What happens after a student passes?
Once a learner passes all the online tests and completes the final case study, the Supervising Pharmacist will review the learner's performance and complete a final declaration of competence in the workplace. This activates the printed certificate and digital badge for display to demonstrate the learner is now qualified.